Lancashire SEND IAS

Lancashire SEND IAS

Information, advice and support for Special Educational Needs and Disability

Young people

Are you a young person under 25? Do you live in Lancashire? Do you have a special educational need or a disability?

Find out how our service can help you.

Support for young people

SEND IAS supports young people directly, or with their parents or carers alongside. We can help you with lots of things, such as planning what to say in a meeting or sharing what you think.

You can say how you want your support to work. Someone can email you, call you on the phone, or meet you in person in a place you feel comfortable (for example a café, at home, or at school). A SEND IAS Officer can talk to you one to one, or with a trusted adult to support you.

Everything you say to us is private. We will only tell someone what you’ve said if we are worried that someone is being hurt or might be hurt.

Making your voice heard is so important. It can help you to get the right support and be the best you can be.

If you would like support from us about anything to do with school or college, contact us on 0300 123 6706 or email

Other information and advice

The following websites also provide information and advice for young people:

  • Lancashire Talkzone
    Talkzone have a range of services committed to making a positive difference to the lives of young people in Lancashire. You can chat online, email, text or call their helpline to talk about keeping safe, money, your rights and housing, care leavers local offer, being in care, sex and relationships, keeping well and healthy, LGBT, SEND - Special educational needs and disabilities, travel and young carers.
  • The Lancashire SEND Local Offer
    Information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their families.
  • Council for Disabled Children
    A charity that has resources for young disabled people, including:
  • Kooth
    Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people about all kinds of things, including mental health.
  • LawStuff
    LawStuff provides free legal information to children and young people. LawStuff is run by Coram Children’s Legal Centre, which provides more detailed information both over the phone and online.
  • Department of Health and Department for Education
    A guide for young people with special education needs and disability (SEND) on what to do if they disagree with the support they get in school or college.
  • Bullying UK 
    An organisation that supports children and young people and their parents who are affected by bullying. Support includes a helpline and online chat service.
  • Books on prescription
    A list of books about mental health, confidence and self-esteem, stress and some conditions such as ADHD and autism that young people can get from their library.
  • IPSEA - Independent Provider of Special Education Advice
    The Children and Families Act 2014 extended the statutory framework of support to young people with SEN up to the age of 25. The same law applies for young people as for children, so you can use the IPSEA website to find out information about:
    • SEN support at school or college
    • EHC needs assessments and EHC plans
    • Transport to school or college